***Access application at bottom of page***
CaT1 Application Priority Deadline for Fall 2023:
Sunday, May 14, 2023 at midnight
Accepting Fall ’23 applications until full or until classes begin, whichever comes first.
CaT1 is offered in fall and winter quarters only, but we welcome applications for future quarters at any time (application details below).
Cal Teach 1 (CaT1) is the introductory academic-year internship offered by UCSC’s Cal Teach program. CaT1 interns must be available to spend ~3 hours/week throughout the quarter in a middle or high school classroom in addition to one seminar meeting/week at UCSC. To participate in a CaT1 internship and enroll in the seminar, students must apply and be accepted to the program.
Cal Teach 1 internship participants will:
- Engage students and support instruction in the assigned middle or high school science or math class twice/week for ~3 hours/week (at least 24 hours throughout the quarter);
- Enroll in a concurrent Cal Teach seminar course, a 2-credit seminar that enhances your classroom placement (EDUC 50B for math placements and EDUC 50C for science placements; permission codes to enroll are provided upon acceptance into the program); and
- Work with a K-12 host teacher.
Fingerprinting, TB status documentation, and scheduling the internship must be completed in advance of the internship quarter. For detailed instructions on how to to do this, see the Cal Teach Intern Toolkit.
CaT1 is only offered in fall and winter quarters, but we welcome applications for upcoming/future quarters at any time (application details below). We discourage students from participating in Cal Teach during their first quarter on campus; therefore, space is held for freshman and transfer students in winter quarter.
To receive full consideration, interns should apply by the priority application deadlines in early May for fall CaT1 and in early November for winter CaT1–keep an eye out each quarter for emails & signage announcing priority deadlines!
When available, thanks to private donations, successful CaT1 interns who have financial need (as determined by the UCSC Financial Aid office) may be eligible to receive a small scholarship after completing all CaT1 requirements. Details are shared with each cohort, as appropriate.
How to Apply
1) CaT1 Application Form: The CaT1 Application Form is a Google form with short response questions (1-2 paragraph answers for each question). Make sure to provide well thought out answers to application questions before submitting the form.
- The application includes providing an Unofficial Transcript. Attach the PDF when prompted in the application.
2) Recommendation Form: Send the Cal Teach Recommendation Form to a present or past supervisor, professor, teacher, advisor or tutor. The Recommendation Form consists of 1-5 scale questions with optional descriptions, so be sure to let your recommender know it only takes a few minutes to complete.Click here to access the form